Monday 9 January 2012

My Thoughts

My biggest issue with this topic is the idea of justice, n who has the power to define it for the rest of us. Who says capital punishment is considered justice? And what makes it just? The government is killing people against their will, and the decision is completely up to them. They have put themselves in God's position by deciding who lives or dies. This can be seen in other places as well, not just capital punishment. For example, I have seen many cases on the news where the police have brutally beaten (and in rare cases killed) civilians they believed deserved it. The police have the power to decide what amount resistance is acceptable, and act accordingly. However this power is abused more often than not due to the fact that the amount of resistance acceptable varies from one to the next. The part that's most ridiculous is that they often get away with it because they work for the government.

The fact that the government can just decide who lives or dies with no questions asked is what infuriates me the most. It isn't right and the person in question should have the choice whether they want to live or not. Personally if someone murdered someone close to me, I honestly wouldn't want that person's life to end, because no one deserves that. I believe anyone can change and I stick by that and I'd rather help a life than destroy it. If that person were to be put on death row, I'd live with guilt for the rest of my life. However, if I could help that person change for the better, I would feel better about myself and sprout a confidence allowing me to make greater accomplishments to help others that can be passed on and continue for an eternity, like a life time supply of dominoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment